ESA Commitment UpdateShare
Country information meetings have taken place in 14 countries with further meetings or alternative processes being planned for the remaining six countries. Several countries have taken steps to start implementing the commitment. Examples include the following;
- Presentation of the ESA Commitment to Cabinet
- Convening a technical working group (TWG) to drive the process and develop operational plan
- Dedicated human resource in NAC to coordinate the ESA commitment
- Discussions on integrating ESA Commitment in the School Health Policy
- Development of MOU’s be- tween ministries of Health and Education
- Development of a National CSE Strategy
- Integration of the agreed ESA Commitment into UNDAP and Government Annual Work Plan
- Allocation of budget to revamp the country’s responses to SRH ?services
Regional Accountability Framework
An accountability framework has been developed as a tool to monitor country and regional progress towards the agreed commitments. The Technical Coordinating Group, under the leadership of UNAIDS and with support from SADC and EAC Secretariats will play a key role in the development and implementation of the accountability mechanism. The intended audiences for the framework are primarily governments in the 20 countries, civil society partners (including young people and community based organizations) and development partners.
On 23-25 April, Government of Zambia, UN partners and SIDA launched a major new national 5 year programme to scale up comprehensive sexuality education and linkages to services for adolescents and young people.